Follow by Email

Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Saint's Corner: Benedict of Nursia

I ask you to ask St. Benedict for his intercession for me especially on this day, as today I am in the cloister to begin my live-in. I will keep you all in my prayers while I am in the cloister, please keep me in yours. God Bless, Emily


Name: Benedict
Birth & Death: 480 - 543
Feast Day: July 11 (Latin Rite)
Country of Origin: Italy
History: Born to the Roman nobility. Twin brother of Saint Scholastica. Studied in Rome, Italy, but was dismayed by the lack of discipline and the lackadasical attitude of his fellow students. Fled to the mountains near Subiaco, living as a hermit in a cave for three years; reported to have been fed by a raven. His virtues caused an abbey to request him to lead them. Founded the monastery at Monte Cassino, where he wrote the Rule of his order. His discipline was such that an attempt was made on his life; some monks tried by poison him, but he blessed the cup and rendered it harmless. He returned to his cave, but continued to attract followers, and eventually established twelve monasteries. [Source]

Recommended:

Saint.sqpn.com
Rule of St. Benedict
Saint Benedict Medal
The Medal or Cross of Saint Benedict
Saint Benedict Novena and Prayers
St. Benedict's Prayer Book
St. Benedict Rosary

No comments:

Post a Comment

For our comment policy, please see the About & Contact us page.