Follow by Email

Saturday, 1 December 2012

Prayer - God of Light

Dearest Lord,
Heavenly Father,
God of light,
Let your love shine in my heart,
That it may be a burning flame in my soul,
Which longs more and more for you each day.
Help me to know what it is you are calling me to,
So that I might find myself doing your work each day on earth,
And in all I do, Lord, be with me, so I may share the light of your love with all your children
All the days of my life.
Amen.

I just wanted to share with all of you a prayer that I found myself praying as I was praying in the early morning in Church the other day. I was in just before 7am, and the Church was dark. The only light came from the candles in front of the altar. I was kneeling at one of the pews and I was silent, just listening to the Lord. It was only then I found myself saying these words silently in my heart. The brothers were praying silently on the right side to me, in the little adoration chapel bit. I like the atmosphere, the peace, the silence that allows us all to really listen and be undisturbed or disrupted by the matters of this world. Every time I go in that early (sometimes I am there at 6.30am), which is maybe 3-4 times a week, I find my desire in my heart for prolonged prayer grows deeper and stronger, and I sometimes wonder what the Lord wants me to do with such a desire. I once said to my parish priest, "Father, sometimes I don't know what to do" - he gave me one of the most surprised and funny looks I had ever seen in my life. He said to me, "What do you mean you don't know what to do? Pray!" - clearly seemed like a silly question to be asking when I suppose I did already know the answer - although you can forgive me for being 14 at the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

For our comment policy, please see the About & Contact us page.