Follow by Email

Monday, 9 December 2013

Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary

I apologise for this post being a little late, I'm a little ill today. - In Christ, Emily

Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary - 9th December

First Reading
Genesis 3:9-15, 20

But the Lord called to the man. 'Where are you?' he asked.
'I heard the sound of you in the garden,' he replied. 'I was afraid because I was naked, so I hid.'
'Who told you that you were naked?' he asked. 'Have you been eating from the tree I forbade you to eat?'
The man replied, 'It was the woman you put with me; she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.'
Then the Lord God said to the woman, 'Why did you do that?' The woman replied, 'The snake tempted me and I ate.'
Then the Lord God said to the snake, 'Because you have done this, Accursed be you of all animals wild and tame! On your belly you will go and on dust you will feed as long as you live.
I shall put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; it will bruise your head and you will strike its heel.'

The man named his wife 'Eve' because she was the mother of all those who live.

“This truth of Mary's Immaculate Conception—which was revealed to the Apostles by the Divine Son of Mary, inherited by the Church, taught by the holy fathers, believed by each generation of the Christian people with an ever increasing explicitness—was implied in the very notion of a Mother of God. To believe that Mary was Mother of God, was implicitly to believe that she, on whom this sublime dignity was conferred, had never been defiled with the slightest stain of sin, and that God had bestowed upon her an absolute exemption from sin." Dom Gueranger

Advent Advantage: Reflect on the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Mother and her role in our salvation. These are good resources for reflection: Ad Diem Illum Laetissimum, Ineffabilis Deus, Immaculate Conception and Assumption.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For our comment policy, please see the About & Contact us page.